Saturday, February 21, 2009

Quilt Squares From Photographs


Welcome to my Studio!

I hope you will enjoy sharing my creative journey.

It delights me to be able to take a photograph of a beautiful flower, download it to my computer, edit in in Photoshop, and then use it to create a lovely item of home décor. I use both standard ink jet printing as well as dye sublimation printing to transfer images to a variety of materials.

These are quilt squares that I printed using an Epson ink jet printer. I used specially treated cotton fabric available from Color Plus Fabrics to print these images directly onto the cotton, then incorporated them into a quilt using solids and prints that picked up the colors in the flowers.

Using direct printing gives a more vivid and detailed image than printing onto transfer paper and using an iron or heat press to transfer the imageto the fabric. It also results in a more natural "hand" to the fabric with the image. Quilts, of course, should always be comfortable as well as beautiful!

The finished quilt was a throw size, about 45" x 60". It looks like a mini flower garden that has been brought inside.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you for submitting your article to our craft carnival. You'll find it here: http://hawaiiwahms.blogspot.com/2009/03/crafts-carnival-4.html

    ReplyDelete